Monday, 4 May 2009

Jersey Agility Festival 2009

What a fabulous weekend of agility we have had!! This is one of my favourite shows of the year. May is a good month for agility in the island, as we have three of our biggest shows, the Agility Festival being the first. Lots of UK and European handlers come over and stay for a few of them. This is great as it gives us excellent competition on our home turf!!

I was really pleased with Smudge. He performed consistently well against some very tough competition, as all the small classes were Grades 1-7 and there were some really good dogs in there! Overall Smudge had five first places, and gathered enough points to qualify for the Jersey Agility Dog of the Year final. Not bad considering he is still so young. So here are the videos. Some good - and some not so good!!

First the pairs. Smudge was paired with an excellent little sheltie called Troy from Holland. On paper it was a dream team but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be!




Small G1-7 Jumping - 2nd in this class. Something bizarre happening on the start line here, didn't feel I had his full attention.




Small G1-7 Helter Skelter. A nice, easy, fast blast which finished off the weekend well! 1st!




And lastly the final. I'm happy that we went clear, but that enormously wide turn on no 2 cost us dearly! I didn't cue in time and the result is that Smudge turned like a tanker. I also pushed those contacts WAY too much :-/. They had been great all weekend, but I released so early in the final it was BAD!! Pleased with the weaves though - very fast! We finished in 2nd, with a time very close to the winner, who was a fantastic European dog that I just loved to watch! If only that turn had been just a bit tighter! :-) It has given me great renewed enthusiasm for the future!




All in all I have been so pleased with Smudge. He has done everything that I have asked of him and more. Wish I had more on video really! An excellent start to the season. Roll on next weekend and the Paws show!

Maisie did a couple of runs, and I'm pleased to say that she is seeming to be feeling much better again. She had the time of her life, mainly doing tunnels when she wasn't supposed to!! All that mattered was that she enjoyed herself and seemed healthy - and she did!

Paul is suffering with an injury to the tendon in his foot, and so running Scooby was not really very sensible. He did run yesterday (against all the advice :-/) and had a few 'nearly' runs, with just a pole in each, and then a 1st in his agility.

Here is a short photo montage of our dogs, and some of friends at the weekend. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Danielle said...

Very nice rounds, congrats with your results. Did you or someone else by the way did also tape the Holland competitor with his littl Sheltie Troy?? I would love to see him run.

OBay Shelties said...

Well done Smudgie! He looked great! See you at Thames?