Thursday, 29 October 2009

Changes

Autumn has gone missing! It was definitely October last time I checked the calendar, almost November. The only reason you would really know is because of the leaves falling and the nights drawing in. Other than that you would think it was still summer as it is strangely warm for this time of year. Somehow it just doesn’t feel right! I want to be wearing hats and scarves for bonfire night, not shorts and a t shirt! (ok well maybe not that far, but you know what I mean) I guess I will live to regret saying that come January, but for now I am kind of missing that autumn feeling. The good weather has meant that we have had some lovely walks recently. Dogs aren’t allowed on the beach during daytime hours in the summer, so ours don’t often venture down there. But from September they can go down when they like, and it has been lovely to have some great beach walks in the warm sun.


This afternoon I went to wave my gran off on her holidays. She is going on a cruise for almost a month........but wait until you hear where! Antarctica!! I am not going to say how old she is, as a lady never discloses her age, but needless to say she is my grandmother, so you can guess the rest. And she is going for a whole month, on an Antarctic expedition, following the footsteps of Ernest Shackelton on his polar voyage. Is she crazy? Certainly brave!! They will be navigating some of the roughest seas in the world. I really hope she has a fantastic time and that it is everything she hopes. It is her 'trip of a lifetime' and something she has always wanted to do. The fact that I will be sitting here worrying about her every move is neither here nor there! Geez is she trying to give me a heart attack? Its normally her worrying about me....this time the tables are well and truly turned! I only hope I am as tenacious when I am older!

So on to other news and we are moving house! Can you believe it was 15 months ago that we decided we wanted to move across the water and it feels as if we are no closer at all in some ways. Frustrating! Just when we thought we were all sorted, life threw a whole load of unexpected stuff at us! I guess it is all part of a greater plan……..hmmm at least that is what I keep telling myself. So for now we are moving within Jersey and every spare minute is spent packing and sorting. God I hate moving!

This is going to be a really strange move for me, as we are going to the house that my great grandmother lived in when I was a child. She passed away 7 months ago and I took my grandmother back to look around the property last weekend. Neither of us had been in there for 10 years, as my great grandmother spent her final years in a care home. It brought back an amazing amount of memories, some good and some bad. It is going to be very strange to live there anyway, for however long, that’s for sure!

Then of course we have the other side of the coin, leaving the house where we are! And that is going to make me very sad indeed. I love my house. Lots. It is so perfect for us, but more importantly for the dogs! None of our current dogs have ever known anywhere but here as their home. This house was our first home together after we were married and it was the first place that I really felt was ‘home’ since I originally moved out at 18. Still, life moves on, and no matter how much we like the house where we are we have to be sensible. At the end of the day it isn’t ours and never will be. This place holds a lot of memories though, of all sorts of things. And sadly of some dogs who aren’t with us anymore and will be left here, in their favourite place under the trees. God I am sentimental aren’t I? I don’t have a picture of Chloe or Alfie on the computer as that was prior to our digital days. But take my word for it, they were perfect.

After all this sentimentality Paul brings me straight down to earth with a bump and reminds me that our house has no heating, no double glazing, rising damp, a small but thriving lizard population in the front porch and is starting to fall down!! Rose tinted glasses?? Ok maybe just slightly, but it still won’t make me any less sad to leave. Perfection takes many forms!

So a new chapter begins! Lets hope it’s as good as the last one!

1 comment:

Lian said...

Good Luck at your new house! Moving is very frustrating!