Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Wow what a busy time!!

Finally I have some time to update the blog!! What a busy few weeks we have had. Firstly Paul became ill with kidney stones - ouch! This then went into a kidney infection and lastly a blood infection. He really hasn't been too lucky! Its amazing how much more there is to do when one of you is ill!

Last weekend was Wellingborough and Surrey. Crazily got up at 5am on the Saturday morning to make the long drive up to Wellingborough, having only arrived at the Travelodge at 12.15 the night before. I didn't feel we ran our best, but we did get a 9th place in the G1-7 Eukanuba. Not bad considering. It was really hot at Wellingborough and I was glad to have finished all my runs by 11am, meaning I could leave the show nice and early. We drove back down with our pairs partner, and had a lovely long walk through the fields to a local pub, then sat and had a drink in the beer garden, before the walk back. Nice! I then went with Julie to collect her new puppy, a Jack Russell called Belle. She is just gorgeous, and although small in size is pretty large in attitude! I must admit she really is lovely (even if she is a Jack Russell!! :))

Sunday was Surrey, and we were most definetely back to our usual selves with regards to speed and enthusiasm, with just tiny errors in each run. The last run of the day was horrible. Poor Smudge looked back at me momentarily as he came over the see saw, but carried on running sideways, which sent him crashing into the jump wing, number and timing equipment on the last jump. It was quite some hit and I was terrified that he had hurt himself. Luckily he bounced straight back up, barking at me and telling me off (always a good sign, when the mouth stops working you know you are in trouble). I felt so bad for the poor little man, but he really did seem to be 100% ok after it. Thank god!

This weekend we had our first local show since May. How nice it was to only have a 20 min drive each way! It was a good day, despite the rain :( and Smudge had two 1st's in the jumping classes. We trained the agility, and it did seem to pay off as in the Power and Speed he did the most perfect A Frame ever. Maisie did two runs and had a 2nd in her jumping class. She clearly really enjoyed being back at agility. Sometimes I feel guilty for not running her more often, as she really does enjoy it, but I am convinced that if I did anymore with her she would eventually suffer for it. So I have to be strict! And at least she does still get to have the ocassional blast!

Georgia ran Scooby as Paul is still pretty much out of action, and she had a 2nd place with him, as well as an 2nd with her own dog Obi! I think she may have got herself a permanent part time dog! Paul has never let anyone run Scooby on a more permanent basis before but Georgia and Scooby get on really well (not too sure what that says about her!). She has a really nice nature with him and has a very similar attitude to us in agility. As Paul can't come to KC Int this year I was going to run Scooby, but on second thoughts I have decided that I really want to concentrate on Smudge, and only have him to think about. So Georgia gets landed with him! I am sure they are going to do really well.

Sunday was my first day off in ages, and it was so nice to have a rest! I spent a long time lounging around in the morning, then we went and had a lovely breakfast at a café on the beach. Bliss! We then did a lovely long walk across the headland and the racecourse at Les Landes, before heading home and catching up on all the things I haven't had time to do recently! How relaxing! It's on days like this that you do really appreciate the Jersey scenery.






The only thing that perhaps isn't so relaxing is our house guest……Tico. We are currently looking after my mums rather large labrador. As you can see he is pretty overweight.
He is also diabetic so takes quite a bit of care. We are going to try and shift some of his excess weight, as he is with us for three weeks. So poor Tico is now in doggy boot camp. I think he believes we are trying to kill him. :) I just don't understand why people do this to their animals. Can't they see they are actually killing him? It is actually pretty embarassing when you walk him, as people do tend to stare and point with the usual 'look at that labrador' comments, which I have to admit is what I normally think when I see other people with dogs this size. I would love to get him to loose some weight, as he would be so much happier and would certainly feel better for it. We tried to weigh him this weekend, but his weight was actually off the scale :( I am taking him down to the vets tonight to get an accurate reading, but we believe he is over 45 kilos :( He is going for a weekly weigh in now at the vets and I am determined to get him fit! He is the softest, most gentle boy, with the cutest personality and is only 5 years old, very sad. Hopefully I will be able to put an improved picture on here by the end of his stay with us!

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Nice pics, I agree, we sometimes forget how lucky we are living in Jersey-from a scenery point of view anyway! Running 'Hurricane Scooby' in the Steeplechase was one of the high points of my day saturday, thanks as ever, and well done you, Smudge and Maisie of course!