Monday, 23 June 2008

The Weekend

Well another weekend is over - don't you just hate Monday mornings!!

Firstly look at the new header, including Mannix now. It was taken on our Sunday walk. I felt bad that poor Mannix was left out of the family shot, so had to correct it!

Saturday we had our clubs monthly competition. Its a great experience for the newcomers at running full courses, but gives the novice handlers the opportunity of trying things that you wouldn't normally if it was at a show. And of course for practising little things like contacts in the ring!! This month was a jumping course. I was pleased with Maisie as it was a fairly difficult weave entry and I just left her to find it on her own, which she did perfectly. She also allowed me to front cross at the end of the weaves, which I normally can't do as she was trained to weave totally wrong (poor dog!). Her downfall was at the last jump when I tried to cross behind her as she wrapped the wing - she took the wrong jump. But overall - a few new things tried sucessfully!!

Smudge on the other hand was not good!! For the first time in ages I felt that we were arguing with each other. He was turning back and barking at me loads, then he came out of his weaves and was jumping all over the place. I just felt we were not listening to each other. Then the unforgivable happened.....he nipped my trouser legs!!! That was it I'm afraid - I picked him up and took him out of the ring. There was no point us continuing in that fashion! At first it really worried me as I have not had that happen with Smudge for absolutely ages. He has been doing so well recently that we were getting confident together. After thinking about it further I decided that I just need to forget it. We had a bad day. It was really humid, Smudge was tired and both of us were not concentrating properly. So I guess I did the best thing by putting a lid on it for the day.

Scooby on the other hand did really well. Since their lesson with Lesley they have been working really hard on the different things that she showed him (jumping wise - contacts are a different hurdle to tackle!) So this was almost the test of how much improvement they had made so far! Normally Scooby would knock poles, particularly when Paul was crossing behind him. Well he did two really nice runs! What a difference after one lesson!! Unfortunately I only got the first one on film and he did break his wait this time, so took the first bar. But the rest you can see is a great improvement.





On Sunday Paws club was doing a display at a summer fete. We decided to go and watch, but not to put any of our dogs in the display. Scooby would cause a riot at a very English, calm, sedate summer fete, I don't let Maisie do too much and as I am re working Smudges contacts slightly I didn't want to let them slip. Well, that was the plan anyway!! Two minutes before they were due to start I was convinced to run Smudge! I decided to do it on the firm agreement that I could put him back on the contacts if he came off and thought that it was actually quite a good test of his contacts in a ring situation. There was no way I was about to run him around for the crowd and let my contact criteria slip. I also wanted to have a successful run after Saturdays disaster!! He did jump the contacts the first time, but I put him back and he got them the second. He actually ran really well, and full of enthusiasm again. So I suppose it was worthwhile as maybe he was shown that he would not get away with jumping them - even in a competition!! Clearly though I still have more work to do.

The fete was in the garden of a lovely manor house called http://www.samaresmanor.com/. The gardens were beutiful and we spent some time walking around them and the craft stalls before we left. Its amazing that on this tiny island there are still places that I have not visited!! Smudge received lots of attention and seemed to really enjoy a summer garden party! Well I suppose he is an English Shetland Sheepdog! And a very posh one too!! This was us in the garden (with me not dressed prepared to run at all!)

1 comment:

Karen said...

Love the new header was great to meet you all love the picture of Smudge with his coveted teddy bear !! x