Lets start with the downs and get them out of the way. Unfortunately Maisie suffered a relapse with her white shaker condition this morning, and we left the show to rush her to the vet. Luckily we have caught it so early this time that she has only mild symptoms. I knew as we went to do our first run that something might not be right, and it became apparent as we started that I was correct. Its such a tricky condition to deal with. I wish that I knew someone who had a dog with the same thing - so if anyone is reading this who's dog has Idiopathic Generalised Tremor Syndrome, please get in touch!
Thinking about the long term, I was seriously questioning whether I should retire her from agility altogether. But our vet pointed out that with any neurological condition it is important to challenge the sufferer, both mentally and physically. He actually thinks that doing agility will be good for her co ordination and will help keep her fit. So I am going to carry on as I was, just doing jumping rounds every now and again, and always stopping if I get any sign that she isn't right. I'm also going to start doing lots of the puppy co ordination excercises (wobble boards and ladders etc) so that even if she doesn't actually do agility for a few weeks, she still has physical challenges to do. I wish she could talk though and give me her own opinion on the subject. My dear little Maisie, I would give anything just for her to be 100% fit again.

On to better things, and Scooby had a 4th in the Novice Jumping. The rest of the day wasn't so hot for him and Paul (shall we just say they were suffering from pilot error!)
And as for Smudge, well......the day started well, and his agility round was lovely.....until three obstacles from home. He released himself from the contact early! Oops! He got it, but didn't wait until I verbally released him. So I was incredibly disciplined and went back and did it again. This obviously paid off as he then did fantastic contacts in the Power and Speed class and a great jumping section to take 1st! He carried on his winning streak in the Steeplechase jumping where he also got 1st! And to top it all off he was then awarded the trophy for best overall in the show by the judge Andrew Dicker (although he was quite worried that news would get out he had given this trophy to a sheltie! and a very loud one at that!! Bark Bark!) Way to go Smudgey!!

Most importantly Smudge seemed to really enjoy himself (as always) and some sections of each course were just stunning. I was so pleased with our performance. He is starting to really grow in confidence, and our partnership is becoming more solid with each run. We are finally starting to get that 'togetherness' (if that is technically a word?!) that I knew would come.
Unfortunately Paul forgot to put the camera in the car - so no video! :-( Whats it they say, if you want something doing, do it yourself!! Haha!


4 comments:
Sorry to hear about Maisie. That is very hard to deal with and very worrying. I had never heard of this condition. I hope she is feeling better now.
Kizzy looks forward to running with Smudge on Sunday!
Poor Maisie. You must be worried about her. Give her lots of fuss from us.
Well done to you and Smudge!
Why not put an advert on agilitynet? Maybe someone has heard of it?
Smudge has grown into a very handsome dog. What a nice photo. :)
Post a Comment