Today was our first day back to club training since Christmas. We started with some weave sequences and I was really pleased with Smudges entries. I haven't yet been able to work out how to upload courses to the blog, which is a shame as I would have liked to put up the second sequence that we did. At first sight it was a really simple exercise, but it showed me how differently I am going to have to handle Smudge over tricky areas! Maisie is a fairly short striding dog, and I can normally beat her on a straight run. This means I can get into position to do turns fairly easily. Smudge is totally different! He is so long striding, and much faster over the ground. I need to run him like Scooby! He really needs me to direct him from behind as I just can't get there in time! I will try to get the section on here somehow as it is a good one to demonstrate what I mean. Paul gave us a really hard time when we were running the small dogs over it. And I was waiting to do the same to him when it was his turn, but I have to eat my words and admit that he did it perfectly! Maybe I will listen next time......I say maybe! Later on I asked my class to run the same sequence and watching them I have thought of even more handling possibilities! So I am setting up exactly the same thing tomorrow and will try some new things! Thats why I enjoy training other people, you learn so much from watching and helping other handlers and different dogs.
All this is not much good if you can't see what it was though is it!?
I also noticed how unfit I have become over Christmas! Its amazing how quickly you can go downhill! Must try harder!
PVC Moveable Ring Dividers/Gates/Fencing
7 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment